Home link

Friday, October 7, 2011

More from James - 5 October, 2011


Looking at the seaweed and the texture of the sand in this photo it's clear that storm waves do reach the sofa. So far it seems to be withstanding them.  I'm glad I'm too far away to be tempted to go back and fix it up. Random reports and interventions are best.  --  Ben

 
Good afternoon Ben

Yes the plank seemed to almost be made for the sofa and fitted without disruption to any of the original installation.

I really love your work by the way.  The 'Expats views of England'  are particularly provoking for me. You photograph the views, which are random and often a juxtaposition of one-another, with possibly an eye that only someone looking from the outside (in the expat sense!) could achieve I think.  They are beautiful but also I find some a little 'mocking' of our small island life which is all the more provoking for it.  I can even recognise some of the image locations which gives them a personal feel to me but would love to know all the rest of the locations.

I am a regular monthly visitor to the sofa beach so I will continue to record the, sadly, inevitable destruction of your art as our all powerful neighbour the sea claims back what is rightfully hers. As you probably know the tides determine the ability of people to view this art of yours which probably explains, as well as the remoteness,  the sporadic nature of the feedback you have had so far. 

A South Westerly storm is blowing  and the rain pours down right now and it feels strange that your work is left lonely and exposed to the elements on this dark Autumnal night. It would be very cool indeed to get some shots of it in the dark on this evening but the tides would not allow right now.


James

No comments:

Post a Comment